Hearing the voice of children, when parents separate

Caught in the middle of their parents’ relationship breakdown, it is important that the best interests and wishes of any children are considered.  If parents are separating, they will need to agree the arrangements for where children will live and how often they will see the other parent.

‘It is better for all concerned if this can be agreed amicably’, explains Angie Brown a family law solicitor with Mooney Everett Solicitors in Ormskirk, Lancashire. ‘The courts do not usually interfere in arrangements for children, but if parents cannot agree one will need to apply to the court for a child arrangements order to determine what time the children should spend with each parent.’

Only in very rare and extreme cases might a child attend court

Although children do not usually have to go to court, it is important that their voice is heard and the court will always consider the needs of children to be paramount.

The role of the CAFCASS

To ensure that the court has the right information, it will notify an organisation called CAFCASS that proceedings have been commenced.  CAFCASS is an independent body, and its caseworkers undertake investigations for the court and make recommendations as to what arrangements are in the best interests of the children.

Initially, CAFCASS will make enquiries of the police, the local authority and possibly the children’s school regarding the safety of the children to understand if there are any reasons as to why the children might not spend time with their parents.

At this stage, the children’s views are not sought. As the case progresses, CAFCASS might be asked to prepare a more detailed report for the court – this might be if the initial report raises concerns about the possible safety of the children, or allegations of violence have been raised by one parent against the other. Generally where there are issues regarding a child’s welfare that need to be considered and cannot be agreed, a CAFCASS Report will be sought.  It might even be that in the case of older children, the court feel that their wishes and feelings are particularly relevant to the case.

To prepare this report, the caseworker may speak to the children to understand what they want to happen.

In that case, CAFCASS will arrange with the parent with whom the children live to meet with them – the length of the meeting will depend on the children.  The meeting could be at home or at a neutral venue (CAFCASS offices).  The children may be spoken to without a parent being present but that will always be dependent on each child and their willingness to speak to CAFCASS.

The views of the children are something the court will take into account, but it will depend on the age of the children.  The views of older children are likely to be more persuasive on the court than a young child, for example a child aged 13 is more likely to be able to explain their views then a child of say four years old.

However, in all cases the court can make decisions which override the views of children if the court feel that is in their best interests.

Usually children do not need a solicitor.  Where the disagreement between the parents is particularly entrenched or complicated, the court may decide that the children should be a part of the legal proceedings in their own right, but this is only in some cases.

In those circumstances the court will appoint a guardian for the children who will in turn instruct a solicitor who will represent the children separately from the parents.

A guardian will be someone who works for CAFCASS, but their role will be different to that of the caseworker who prepared the report for the court.  The guardian will meet with the children more regularly and will represent them in court.

For further information on any aspect of relationship breakdown or divorce, please contact Angie Brown in the family law team on 01695 574111 or email email hidden; JavaScript is required.


This article is for general information only and does not constitute legal or professional advice. Please note that the law may have changed since this article was published.