Changing a name

Following a divorce or separation you may no longer want to be known by your previous name. There may be many circumstances in which you may want to change the surname of your children. Mooney Everett Solicitors provides advice on all aspects of family law from our offices in Ormskirk.

For adults

Changing your own name is a relatively straightforward process. You can simply start using the new name that you want to be known by, but you may need official evidence that you have changed your name to get your passport or driving licence changed.

The most accepted way to change your name is by a ‘change of name deed poll’. We can prepare this for you and have your signature witnessed at our offices. We will give you certified copies to present to your bank, the DVLA, the passport agency, your employer and for any other official reason.

For children

Changing a child’s name can be trickier, depending on the age of the child and whether both parents consent.

If one of the parents with parental responsibility does not consent to the child’s name being changed, you will need to apply to the Family Court for permission. The Court will consider all circumstances and wishes of the parents in making a decision.

Once the change of name has been completed, we will give you certified copies of the change of name deed poll for the child’s school, GP and passport application.

We can advise you on:

At Mooney Everett we explain things in plain English, free of any jargon. We will discuss all the options with you, outlining the costs involved from the outset, and we make sure that you are kept informed regularly.

For confidential advice, contact Helen Morgan, Head of the family law team in Ormskirk, on 01695 574111 or email email hidden; JavaScript is required to arrange an appointment at our offices in Ormskirk. We also offer Skype meetings for private clients at a time that suits you.